BHS DAILY BULLETIN
Thursday, Oct. 31, 2013
Girls Varsity Volleyball Prelim's today @ BHS 6:00PM vs Farmington
Boys Varsity Soccer Quarter Finals today @Prospect Mtn. 3:00PM- bus departs @ 1:30PM
Girls Varsity Soccer Quarter Finals Saturday @ BHS 2:00PM
Meeting cancelled for today.
News from NHIAA:
· Did you know that the NCAA's initial-eligibility academic standards are changing for student-athletes enrolling at an NCAA Division I university on or after August 1, 2016 (this year's high school sophomore class and younger)? A brief summary of the changes can be found here.
· To assist in getting this message out, we have developed the Initial-Eligibility Resource Index , a new electronic tool that contains links to the NCAAEligibility Center's resources and presentations available free of charge. Please share these materials broadly with students, parents, coaches, etc.
1.Additional high school-specific resources are available on the High School Portal Resources page. The NCAA Eligibility Center receives thousands of calls each year regarding hardcopy transcript receipt due to the two- to three-week processing time needed to mail, log, scan, and post transcripts to student accounts. You are strongly encouraged to submit transcripts through one of the approved e-transcript providers (Docufide/Parchment, Scrip Safe, ConnectEDU, National Transcript Center/Pearson Edustructure, USMO ET, and XAP) as these transcripts usually appear in student accounts within 48 hours.
2.Please verify that your school's List of NCAA Courses is up to date by logging into your account within the High School Portal . This will help ensure that courses taken by your students can be matched to their transcript during the final academic certification process.
3.Catch us live at www.collegeweeklive.com at 11 a.m. Eastern time Thursday, October 24. The free webinar can be found under the Events tab titled "All Access Fall event through CollegeWeekLive" and the name of the webinar is "Path to the Student-Athlete Experience."
BHS Holiday Fair :
The 7th Annual BHS Holiday Fair hosted by the Future Business Leaders of America will be held on Saturday, November 9th from 9am-3pm at Belmont High School. Approximately 100 vendors will be offering handcrafted and holiday items for sale, several student groups will be selling breakfast, lunch, and snack items, and there will be a large raffle as well. Proceeds from the event are used help students attend NH-FBLA business and leadership conferences and support local charities. In addition, FBLA will be collecting donations for the Mix 94.1 Cash and Cans Drive. Please come start your holiday shopping with us on November 9th! Thank you for your support!
Gunstock Ski Sale:
Annual Ski & Snowboard Sale, Saturday Nov 2nd 9-3 at Gunstock. Visit www.gunstockskiclub.com for more details.
Belmont Parks & Rec:
Gunstock Ski & Snowboard 5 Week Outreach Program. Deadline to Register is Nov 5th- There is an informational sheet in the main office for more details, or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website at www.belmontnh.org
Class of 2016:
We will be doing a Yankee Candle Fundraiser through Friday, November 8th (All forms due with payment). Selling catalogs and instructions for setting up an account to sell online were distributed to students on Thursday, October 24th, and Mr. Hill sent more detailed instructions to parents via the CLass of 2016 parent email list. Any student still needing a packet should see Mr. Hill in Room 211. Students will receive 40% of their total sales, which will be credited to their individual accounts. Remember, effort equals results!
News from the Library:
Please remember to renew or return all library materials before the end of the quarter on Friday.
Veterans Day Assembly:
Will be held at BHS on Wednesday, Nov 6th during 5th block @ 1:20PM.
BHS PTO will be hosting a children's shopping booth at the FBLA Holiday Fair on Saturday, November 9th, where children and students will be able to do holiday shopping for family members and friends.. We are looking for donations of holiday wrapping paper, gift bags, tissue paper, ribbons, bows, labels and scotch tape. Recycled items or ends of rolls of wrap gladly accepted. Please email email@example.com if you have any items you can donate. Donations must be received by November 1st. Thank you !
1. NNHEAF will be holding a student Athlete Night on Thursday 11/14/13 at 6pm at Londonderry High School. Students and parents throughout the state are welcome to attend. This panel discussion is led by Senior College Counselor Jay Hauser . Panelists include compliance officers from D-1 schools, college coaches and a former ivy league athlete.
2. Seniors who are NH State Scholars are eligible for fee waivers if they are applying to Franklin Pierce University of SNHU. See Mrs. O'Connell for more information
3.Attention seniors: Please be reminded that your guidance counselor will not be able to write your college recommendation letter until you have submitted both your resume and your brag sheet.
4.The NH EMS Memorial Committee is looking for senior students to enter their design competition to generate the design concept for their NH EMS (members who have died in the line of duty) Memorial. The site of the new memorial will be on Smokey Bear Blvd in Concord. Interested students need to request an entry packet from the EMS committee by contacting Christine Beres at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling her cell phone at 520-9035. The winner chosen by the committee will receive a financial scholarship that may be used for continuing their education
5. Seniors are reminded that scholarship opportunities are arriving in guidance weekly. Check the list in the guidance office frequently for new opportunities. You can also get the complete scholarship list on our website: highschool.shaker.k12.nh.us and click on College Bound, follow that to the scholarship link
6. Seniors who are interested in a career in Athletic Training are invited to attend an Athletic Training Career Day at Springfield College in Massachusetts. The career day will take place on Sunday, November 10, 2013 from 9:30am to 1:30pm. Registration fee is $30. Registration forms are available in the guidance office.
7. River Valley Community College in Claremont, NH is holding their Annual Discovery Day on Wednesday, Nov. 6th from 9am to Noon. Discovery Day provides students an opportunity to learn more about the community college and what programs it has to offer. Interested students need to pre-register by NOV. 4th. Interested seniors should see Mrs. O'Connell for more information and to fill out registration forms.
Career Corner : Mrs. Burke
1. Students…are you interested in a career in the Sports Industry or are you just a HUGE hockey fan? If so, then you don't want to miss out on this opportunity! On November 13th, The Manchester Monarchs at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester will be hosting a Sports Industry Career Forum and College Fair before, during and after the annual Education Day hockey game vs. the Norfolk Admirals. The college fair will kick things off at9:00 a.m., the game will start at 10:00 a.m., and the forum will conclude the event after the game. For this event, bagged lunches will be permitted and tickets are ONLY $10 for down below seats (over a 50% savings)!
This event will not only be a college fair but also an opportunity for students to hear from members of the Manchester Monarchs front office, Verizon Wireless Arena staff, and various broadcast/news outlets in the post-game Q&A forum! Careers in Journalism, Marketing, Sales, Event Planning, Food Service, Community Relations, and MORE will be covered during this special event! For more information or to purchase your tickets, please contact Ryan Leach, Manchester Monarchs Group Sales Account Executive, at 626-7825x6112 or RLeach@ManchesterMonarchs.com Permission slips are available in Guidance!
2. Is your career pathway Education & Training? Would you want to be an educator in a hospital setting or in a classroom or would you like to be a Play Therapist, Recreational Director or a Public Health Instructor? Are you thinking you want a job that allows you to have a lifelong impact on others…then join Mrs. Burke on November 7th at the new Huot Technical Center building for a Career Panel for Education & Training! Meet professionals in this career path and learn what it takes to be successful in this field after high school! Sign up in guidance for the field trip on November 7th! The bus leaves at 10:10 am and you WILL be back just in time for 4th lunch!
National English Honor Society:
All returning members of National English Honor Society need to meet briefly in the library after school on Friday for a quick, five-minute check-in about Tuesday's induction. If you can't make it, please talk to Sam Chiu about what you'll need to do, wear, and bring.
Willy Wonka participants must turn in their scripts as soon as possible to avoid being charged a $25 book fee. Please bring them to Ms. Pitrone in room 206.
Class of 2014:
Any senior who is intending to go on the senior trip who hasn't signed up needs to do so ASAP.
1. Our meeting dates for the next month are as follows:
Tuesday 11/5, Wed 11/6 (If needed)
2. Can tabs for David's House can be turned in to any FBLA member or Mr. Hill. Thank you! We will be collecting tabs all year long.
National Honor Society:
Starting on Halloween, NHS will be collecting Pennies for Patients to help Leukemia & Lymphoma sufferers. Please consider donating spare change to this research. Look for students in costumes and boxes around the school.
Come into room 205 to sign up to help with Pork Fest and the Holiday Craft Fair!!! Pork Fest will be after school on Thursday, November 7. We will be making pork pies and holiday centerpieces.